Can you believe we are in April and starting to see signs of spring popping up? I seriously feel like the first couple of months of this year have flown by. But, here were are four months in and ready to go. These 5 simple ways to spring clean are going to rock your world! I am so excited to give you all the details and help you on your way.
Starting a new month brings in the feelings of a clean slate, fresh start, new beginnings. Why not make today the catalyst to what the rest of this year will look like, feel like, be like.
Let’s get rolling with these 5 simple ways to spring clean.
1. Spring Clean Your Physical Space
I know for me, my personal space matters so much. My surroundings directly affect my energy, my mood, my productivity. So it is really important for me to create a space that is open, organized, and aesthetically pleasing. There are so many studies that show that our environment really does impact us. You know the saying ” You are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with.” Well, the same goes with the clutter or organization you surround yourself with. I found this article to be very interesting to read as well as eye-opening to what research is finding to be true about clutter.
“The physical environment of the workplace has a significant effect on the way that we work. When our space is a mess, so are we.
But clutter can also affect us in more indirect ways. My research and that of others has shown that our physical environments significantly influence our cognition, emotions, and behavior, affecting our decision-making and relationships with others. Cluttered spaces can have negative effects on our stress and anxiety levels, as well as our ability to focus, our eating choices, and even our sleep.
Clutter Affects Your Brain and Your Work
You may think you’re not bothered by your overstuffed filing cabinets or the stacks of paper on your desk. But scientists at the Princeton University Neuroscience Institute have used fMRI and other approaches to show that our brains like order, and that constant visual reminder of disorganization drain our cognitive resources and reduce our ability to focus. They also found that when participants cleared the clutter from their work environment, they were better able to focus and process information, and their productivity increased.
A study on the effects of clutter in the home found that individuals who felt overwhelmed by the amount of “stuff” in their homes were more likely to procrastinate. Other research has shown that a cluttered home environment triggers coping and avoidance strategies involving snacking on junk and watching TV.
Clutter can also affect our general mental health, making us feel stressed, anxious, or depressed. Research from the United States in 2009, for instance, found the levels of the stress hormone cortisol were higher in mothers whose home environment was cluttered; elevated cortisol levels sustained over time can lead to anxiety and depression.
Our relationships with others can also be affected by our clutter. In one study, participants with messy desks were perceived to be less conscientious, more neurotic, and less agreeable. Such perceptions of an employee are likely to negatively influence the way that others interact with them and may have negative consequences for their career progression.”The Case for Finally Cleaning Your Desk
by Libby Sander
My tried and true simple cleaning routine
- Take 5,10, 30 minutes, setting a timer helps me be mindful of my time. I have also noticed that knowing exactly how much time I will be spending helps me feel energized to pack as much in as possible. Only have 10 minutes, just watch how quickly you get things done that have normally taken you hours to complete. You become very efficient with a timer set.
- Push play on some pump-up music. Music really has a way of setting the energy tone and mood. Be sure you put some upbeat music on to get that pep in your step. Here is a great playlist I created to get a pep in my step.
- Decide what you are going to tackle. Maybe today you have time for one drawer, one room, your car, purse, we all know that one “messy” area that needs to be checked.
- Needing some storage or organizing ideas for an area of your home, take a look at my house board, office board, bathroom board for inspiration.
- I have to admit I am not the best at keeping plants alive inside but there are so many benefits in adding some greenery to your home. Clean and detoxed air, energy lifting, joy, and happiness watching them grow. If you are like me, take a look at my plant board to know which plants are made for you.
Why its important to clean up & what could come your way if you do.
By cleaning up and organizing your physical space you are making room for something new to come into your life. It could be more energy, a higher vibration now that you aren’t surrounded by clutter. New ideas for yourself, your business, your family or friends. More time to do the things you love instead of feeling like you always need to spend time tidying up. I can’t wait to hear what comes your way!
Spring Cleaning Books I Love
The Only Cleaning Products I Use!
Are you using cleaning products that might make your house look clean but are they wrecking havoc on your health and immune system? Here are some of the articles I read to start the journey of cleaning up my cleaning supplies and how to keep items out of my home that were causing hormone and endocrine disruption.
- Phthalates: Where Are They Hiding & How to Go Phthalate-Free
- Better Air Means Better Health: Enhance Your Immunity by Improving Indoor Air Quality
- Favorite Documentaries to watch
Our Physical Bodies
It is imparitive to speak on the importance of spring cleaning the things going in and on our bodies. We are bombarded every single day with toxins, chemicals, polluted air, electromagnetic radiation and pesticides. These are just a handful of things that we are exposed to daily. I am not trying to frighten you but give you a heads up that we need to be cleaning things up and properly protecting ourselves.
I don’t want to go full throttle into each category on this blog post or it will become the longest blog ever. So I will touch on each category, give some insight and some options to help protect you and your body. Let’s go!
Breathing Clean Air
Did you know the air inside of your house can be more toxic and polluted than the air outside? Seems bizarre to think about but it is true. With cooking, cleaning, dusting, quality of furniture, and flooring can all add pollutants to your home. With the fires and inversions in Boise, I personally took matters into my own hands and invested in an air purifier for my home. This is the air filter I use in my home & they are offering an incredible deal right now!
What are you placing on your skin?
Ok, let me take a deep breath because this is going to be long winded. There are only 11 cosmetic ingredients that are currently banned in the US compared to 1,300+ in the European Union. These leaves it up to us to do the research and pick the items that won’t do us harm. It has taken me a couple of years to really go nontoxic with almost everything I use on my body, face and hair. According to the Environmental Working Group, women use an average of 12 products a day, containing 168 different chemicals on their body.
Let me help you start shifting the products you are using to ones that nourish, strengthen & protect the body. Here are the products and brands that I have switched to and absolutely love.
- Skincare. Raise your hand if you have bought skincare items at the grocery store, yep my hand is up. I have been lucky to have really easy skin but with that came a lack of research on what was going in my face. Well, times have changed and now I am adamant about knowing not only what is going on my face and body but why I want certain ingredients. Don’t know where to start or what your skin even needs? Here is a personalized skin quiz to get you started. My favorite face products here. How to bundle items and save as you make the switch to non-toxic skincare.
- Deodorant, the one thing that almost every human on the plant places on their body every day. Have you taken a second to see what exactly you are swiping under your arms each day? Our armpits have so many lymph nodes sitting right under the skin and are absorbing everything that touches the skin. Why not make sure you are placing high-quality, non-toxic ingredients into them each day. The only non-toxic deodorant that actually works & an added bonus, it smells incredible too!
- Make-up. I personally didn’t start thinking about make-up and what was in it until a couple of years ago. I just would grab what worked at the mall or grocery store and call it good. As I have started to swap things out my make-up has been getting the boot too. Here is my favorite Non-toxic Makeup that leaves you looking effortlessly dewy, flawless, and fresh. Actually nourishing your skin with the products you are using instead of clogging your pores and stripping your skin.
- Lotions & Creams. I am always looking for great lotions and creams to keep my skin nourished and hydrated in the dry climate I live in. Here are some of my favorite Lotions and creams to quench my skin’s thirst. The best Oil and salt scrub to make your skin feel refreshed and new.
- Perfume. We start using perfumes at an early age without ever questioning the fragrances that are stressing our hormones, disrupting our endocrine system & could be causing breathing issues. Here are the new good-smelling oils I use on a daily basis to smell good without all the chemicals and toxins
- Detox Tools. The body is such an incredible thing and is able to detox itself rather well. With that being said, I do love to have handy items assist my body release and rid itself of stagnant fluids, inflammation, and toxins lingering in the body. Help your lymphatic system detox with these incredible tools. Check out this duo! The* dry brush that I use on my body. Gua Sha & Ridged Rollers that make my face, neck, and shoulders feel incredible.
- Menstrual Care. I can still remember the sex ed day in elementary school. The day they split up the girls and boys and show the videos and hand you a little bag with a pad and tampon and a little booklet talking about your period. I never thought twice about period care and what could be in the items I was using and placing in my body. That has drastically changed and now I am on a mission to help spread the word and have every person menstruating know the importance too. The only period cup I use & these period panties too.
2. Spring Clean Your Clothing
Ok, let me be real for a second. I used to be the type that would buy all things on sale. Even if I didn’t need the said item, it was on sale, 3 for $10, what a deal. Now as I am learning more about fast fashion and the effect it has on the world I am more intentional with my buying. No longer mass buying and always making sure the items I do buy are high quality, fit perfectly and make me feel my best. I want my clothes to not only look good but make me feel good while I am wearing them.
Why not take some time to go through your clothes & get rid of anything that doesn’t fit well. The clothes that don’t have you feeling your best, walking with confidence, showcasing your beautiful body. The clothes that we hold on to & tell ourselves we will fit into one day. The research shows that when you get dressed and feel good you actually score better on tests, make better food and life decisions. So take the time today to go through your closet and donate the clothes that no longer serve your body.
Why you should donate
By donating your clothes you are freeing yourself from negative thoughts and feelings and giving someone else the chance to receive clothes that they can feel their best in. Maybe they wouldn’t have the opportunity to have such nice articles of clothing if it wasn’t for you being willing to donate. You are also helping keep clothing from landfills which are filling up with unnecessary waste.
Here are some of the places I have found to take clothing & help women in need.
- Junior League
- American Red Cross
- Dress For Success
- Room To Grow
- Salvation Army
- Project Glam
- One Warm Coat
- Soles 4 Souls
- Thred Up
Have items that are in really bad shape, broken, worn out or unsure what to do with them? A lot of items shouldn’t be thrown into the garbage because of toxic waste. Here is a resource to be able to see how and where you can drop off and recycle any item you have on hand.
Sustainably sourcing your clothes & why it matters…..
In the last year I have really started to research and understand fast fashion and how it is filling our landfills, causing pollution and practices that I don’t stand behind. I urge you to do your own research on the brands and clothing that you are buying and if you still want to support them. I am not saying to get rid of everything and start over. No, I have a lot of clothing from fast fashion companies and brands and I will keep these and enjoy them for the rest of my life. With the knowledge I have now I can make better decision on the clothing and companies I support moving forward.
When I started to research and find women owned and run companies I was shocked at just how many are making an impact in this world. I will place a couple of them below so that you too can start supporting this businesses that are not only creating incredible products but giving back to the community too.
Here are a couple companies I have found and loved!
- Girlfriend Collective
- Back Beat Co.
- Andie Swim
- Vitamin A
3. Spring Clean Your Food
As we move into spring we are leaving the heavy, comforting foods of winter behind and welcoming the colorful, light foods of spring. This can be a great time for you to set some new intentions around the foods that you are going to buy and bring into your home. Take a moment to pause and ask yourself how you want to feel in this new season. Once you answer, follow up with what foods will help me feel this way. Once you have this answered you will be ready to get moving with cleaning out anything that doesn’t match these two answers.
How to get started…
Go through your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer and get rid of the foods that don’t nourish and support the energy you are wanting to feel. The foods that maybe you reach for when you aren’t feeling your best. Yet, you find they actually don’t make you feel any better, if anything you are left feeling worse after consuming.
Trust me. I have been there and I still have times that I reach for foods that I know aren’t the best for me. We are human, it will happen. What I do to try and set myself up for success is split into two categories. First, I will go through my pantry, fridge, and freezer and donate or throw away anything that is old, freezer burnt, past its prime, or no longer needed in our home. I then make a list of items that I do* want in my home and in my body.
How to prepare for the week ahead….
I have found that if I make a meal plan for each week it really helps me stay on track. Having foods prepped and ready not only cuts down on mealtime prep but also allows for both my husband and me to stay on track. Preparing raw and cooked veggies helps to throw them into breakfast scrambles, salad, and dinner sides. Making meals ahead of time also allows for more time to do other things you are passionate about and spend less time in the kitchen.
Check out my IGTV on “How to Meal Prep Like a Pro”
Items I stock in my home to stay on track and fuel my body
- Love this protein powder! As the temps rise I find myself with less of an appetite for big meals and reach for lighter, greener, cooler options! Chocolate is usually my fav but I tell ya the smooth vanilla is delicious too!
- I love sauces but I want them to be without all the additives and sugars. This is the only brand of marinades, dressings, and condiments I buy!
- I am a mushroom lover and I don’t care who knows it! Ha! But seriously, I love mushrooms in all forms and have been decreasing my caffeine intake and been loving this mushroom coffee instead.
- Another incredibly delicious beverage I have been replacing my morning coffee with has been this cup of goodness that includes lion’s mane, chaga, reishi, cordyceps, cacao, masala chai, turmeric, cinnamon, Himalayan salt. Could you think of anything else they could have packed in each cup? It is yummy!
- Running short on time but want to be eating healthy and have convenient meal options? This is the only meal delivery service I have used & my husband loves the bowls. Simply heat up and enjoy!
- Sourdough is hands down one of my favorite bread but I have found that gluten doesn’t always agree with me. I was ecstatic to find a sourdough bread that tasted incredible AND was gluten-free! If you are looking for a GF alternative & also love sourdough I highly recommend checking this bread out, like Now!
- As the temps warm up I tend to be drinking more cold beverages and sparkling water to keep myself hydrated and cool. I stumbled upon Rishi Tea Sparkling Botanicals and I am obsessed with the flavors. I have ordered a mix pack a couple of times already because they are that good! Use code: 7off to save on your rishi tea purchase
- The one place I buy my superfoods and hard to find grocery items online at a discounted rate & added bonus * they are delivered to your doorstep. How easy is that? Start shopping and see how much money and time you can save on groceries today!
- My Favorite local farm in Idaho to get all of my meat, eggs & possibly the best honey I have EVER tasted! They also ship to surrounding states so be sure to check them out! You can use code: Vitality for % off any $100 purchase.
Check out this blog post to find local farms, CSA shares, and markets near you!
4. Spring Clean Your Digital Space
We all spend a lot of our time online, on our computers, phones, TVs, etc. What if we got rid of apps that we don’t use, deleted old emails and junk mail that is lingering, causing us stress. What if we utilized the timers on our phones to stop the mindless scrolling. Set a time each day to put our phones down for good. How could you disconnect to reconnect to yourself, to the people around you & to this world that is blooming before our eyes?
- Clear Apps off your phones
- Use timers to create boundaries around screen time
- Set a deadline for each evening & putting our phones on airplane mode to disconnect and be free from work, social media, and any other distractions on our devices. Staring at a screen before bed can cause you to have disrupted sleep and affect your circadian rhythm.
- Unfollow anyone that causes you to second guess yourself, not feel good enough, or leaves you feeling less than. You have the power to create the energy and feel of your pages, so choose to create a space that uplifts, inspires, and leaves you feeling like your best self.
- Delete and unsubscribe from emails that you are no longer wanting to receive.
Protecting your eyes
Did you know that staring at your computer, phone, watch, tv, anything with a screen could really my impacting your vision, your mind, and your overall health? Seems scary to think about when we are spending a lot more time on our devices these days. Here are some symptoms to watch for and ways you can support your eye health.
- Tired Eyes
- Blurred Vision
- Disrupted Sleep
- Lack of energy
- Foggy mindset
- Strained eyes, dryness, bloodshot
Here are some blue light blocking glasses that I have tried and found to be effective. I have a little stash so that I can change them up each day depending on my mood. Feeling sassy & stylish I reach for these, a pop of color I reach for these, and last but not least when I want to try another pair but not break the bank I reach for these.
Protect yourself and your loved ones from the harmful energy and electromagnetic radiation that come from our phones, computers, routers, etc. These EMFs can do a number on your health and wellness, especially with the increased time we are spending online.
Symptoms of EMF exposure
- sleep disturbances, including insomnia
- depression and depressive symptoms
- tiredness and fatigue
- lack of concentration
- changes in memory
- loss of appetite and weight loss
- restlessness and anxiety
Products to help protect you & your loved ones
“Our slim and durable smartDOT offers a digital detox, safe for all ages. Benefits include boosted energy, improved mood, better concentration, and reduced anxiety. Our customers believe in the power of smartDOT Radiation Protection, reporting better sleep, a clearer mind, improved focus, fewer headaches and improved energy levels”
5. Spring Clean Your Mental Space
What if we started to shift our mindsets? Started to actively choose to believe in ourselves, in our abilities. Made space to get quiet and really allow ourselves to connect, to hear, and feel into ourselves. How different would that be for each of us, for the whole world if we made it a priority.
I have seen a huge difference in myself and my mind with scheduling time to meditate every day. Some days it’s 20 minutes some days it’s 2 minutes. By taking this time to connect to my mind, body, and soul, my self-talk & my overall mindset have drastically shifted. Feeling calmer, more settled, and aligned with myself. There is clarity around who I am as a person, as an individual. A sense of being rooted in my calling, business, and what I was placed on this earth to do.
What would shift if you made time each day to get quiet?
Free Apps to guide your meditations
Here are a couple books that I have loved checking out and wanted to offer them to you too!
Now, these things are not a “To-Do” List of things you *have to do. Just ideas to welcome in a new month & possibly make it a bit different than the ones that have passed.
Cheers friends for taking small steps in the direction of your dreams, for choosing to better yourself. Little by little, step by step, it makes an impact. ✨